The Ultimate Move-Out Cleaning Checklist You Must Follow
Moving out of a rented property or selling your home can take time and effort. A thorough move-out cleaning is one of the most important tasks to tick off your to-do list. A clean and well-maintained space will help you get your security deposit back or make a good impression on potential buyers.
To make your life more manageable, we have compiled the ultimate move-out cleaning checklist you must follow for a hassle-free transition.
- Plan Ahead and Gather Your Cleaning Supplies
Before diving into the cleaning process, planning your cleaning schedule and gathering all the necessary cleaning supplies is crucial. This includes:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Broom and dustpan
- Mop and bucket
- All-purpose cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- Bathroom cleaner
- Sponges and scrubbers
- Microfiber cloths
- Declutter and Organize
Before you start cleaning, declutter and organize your belongings. Sort your belongings and decide what to keep, donate or discard. This will not only make your move more manageable but will also make the cleaning process more efficient.
- Start from Top to Bottom
When cleaning, working your way from top to bottom is essential. This means starting from the ceiling and working down to the floor. This will prevent dust and dirt from falling onto freshly cleaned surfaces.
- Pay Attention to the Kitchen
Be prepared to spend a reasonable amount of time here, as it typically requires the most attention. Some critical tasks in the kitchen include:
- Stovetop and Oven: Remove grates and burners and soak them in lukewarm soapy water. Use a degreaser to clean the stovetop and oven interior. Don’t forget to clean the oven racks, knobs, and hood vent.
- Refrigerator: Empty the fridge and freezer, and unplug it. Wipe down all the shelves, drawers, and surfaces with water and baking soda. If leaving the refrigerator behind, leave the doors open to prevent mold and mildew.
- Dishwasher: Run an empty cycle with a cleaner or a cup of white vinegar. Wipe down the exterior, edges, and control panel.
- Cabinets and Countertops: Empty and wipe down all cabinets, drawers, and pantry shelves. Clean and disinfect countertops, paying particular attention to any stains or sticky spots.
- Sink and Faucet: Use a disinfectant cleaner to scrub and sanitize the sink and faucet. Don’t forget to clean the garbage disposal and drain.
- Tackle the Bathroom
A clean bathroom can make a significant impact on potential buyers or landlords. Some crucial tasks in the bathroom include:
- Bathtub and Shower: Use a bathroom cleaner and scrubber to remove soap scum, mold, and mildew from the tub, shower walls, and showerhead.
- Toilet: Use a toilet brush and disinfectant to clean the bowl. Don’t forget to clean the toilet seat, lid, and tank.
- Sink and Countertops: Use a bathroom cleaner to scrub and sanitize the sink, faucet, and countertops.
- Mirrors and Fixtures: Use a glass cleaner to clean and polish any chrome fixtures.
- Cabinets and Drawers: Empty and wipe down all cabinets and drawers.
- Vacuuming and Mopping the Floors: Remove hair and dust before mopping the floors with a disinfectant cleaner.
- Attend to Other Rooms and Areas
Remember to clean other rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, and laundry rooms. This includes:
- Cleaning closets and built-in shelves
- Vacuuming carpets and upholstery
- Wiping down any additional appliances, such as washing machines and dryers
- Cleaning fireplaces and mantels
- Don’t Forget the Outdoors
Give attention to outdoor spaces as well, such as a patio, deck, or yard. If you hire move-out cleaning services, you can ask them to do these tasks:
- Sweeping and washing down patios and decks
- Cleaning outdoor furniture and cushions
- Raking leaves and picking up any debris in the yard
- Pruning and trimming bushes and trees
- Cleaning and maintaining any outdoor equipment, such as grills and lawnmowers
- Washing windows and screens from the outside
- Power washing the house exterior, if necessary
- Checking and repairing any damage to gutters and downspouts
Adhering to this ultimate move-out cleaning checklist is essential for ensuring a smooth and stress-free transition when moving out of a property. Our comprehensive list encompasses all critical areas of a home, including the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, and living spaces. By letting move-out cleaning services diligently follow this checklist, you can save time and effort and avoid potential disputes with landlords or property managers regarding the cleanliness and condition of the property.
Queen Bee Cleaning Services has established itself as Seattle’s top choice for house and Airbnb cleaning services, offering unparalleled professionalism, quality, and customer satisfaction. Our experienced, well-trained, and dedicated team of professionals ensures that clients get the highest level of service tailored to their unique requirements. For those needing exceptional move-out cleaning services in the Seattle area, contact us to ensure a spotlessly clean space.